I write. All the time. For work, on this blog, when I’m putting resumes together, when I’m writing stories. When I’m making grocery lists, penning thank you letters, or writing out bills (gag).
Yet there’s something keeping me from being as productive and prolific with my fiction work as I want to be. What is it? Oh, just accountability is all.
You see, I do really well when I have a deadline and someone waiting on a finished product from me. This is probably why I loved my low-residency MFA program so much. Packets of work were due to mentors by the first Monday of every month. I could write freely because there were perimeters around the projects– everything had to get done by a due date, no questions asked.
In a backwards kind of way, having restrictions around my creative process actually gave me more freedom to take risks and try new things, because all it took was the push to just write.
This also explains why I’m having a hard time self-motivating when it comes to working on my novel and churning out short stories.
No one in the world cares whether or not I get that writing done. I’m not answering to anyone. There are no consequences if I don’t pump out 3 chapters this week and revise 2 short stories before the month ends. The only consequence is that I feel lousy about myself, but as a writer, that comes with the territory from time to time.
So this is a classified ad of sorts. If you’re a writer who also needs some accountability and ass-kicking, holler at me.
I’m looking for someone who is up for the following:
- Weekly check-ins with each other to discuss our progress on particular projects
- Mutual ass-kicking, guilt-tripping, and incentive-offering
- A long-term writing relationship that will provide both of us with a trusted ear, a reliable eye, and an honest opinion
- Fun, silliness, and a lot of not-taking-ourselves-too-seriously
- But at the same time, able to buckle down, give and take feedback, and write like the dickens
Does this sound like something you’ve been needing, too? Leave a comment or shoot me an email and we’ll chat!